PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Handwriting Rubric

I am on a bit of an assessment kick lately. This is largely due to the fact that I am currently marking and commenting on my students' report cards.  I have always known this, but when my assessment is good, the comments I write are good (precise and individualized).  When my assessment practices are sound, I feel much more confident in the marks I give.   It sounds so simple when writing about it, but in the day to day grind so much can happen to divert our attention from getting, finding and giving proper assessments.  

Currently, I am really into self-assessments.  My students are so much more amazingly meta-cognitive and insightful when I turn the job of assessor over to them.  Which brings to my freebie for today...It is a handwriting rubric that my class and I created together.  I hope you will be able to use it and that is may benefit your students.

I don't know about you, but I can tell a student a hundred times what they need to do differently to improve their handwriting and they just don't ever do it.  However, when they are left to evaluate their handwriting, they are surprisingly knowledgeable about what they need to do in order to make their writing more readable and they actually do it.  

Handwriting Rubric 
Do you teach handwriting? I know some people feel that it very out-dated, as kids will probably type most of their communication in the future.  However, I still feel it is important to be able to write something people can read.  

Do you assess handwriting?  If so how?  I'd love to hear from you. 

Happy Thanksgiving weekend!
Kate



No comments:

Post a Comment